Mobii Research Study – by Care Research
Mobii Multi Touch Table Care Home Research Study Summary
In Autumn 2018 OM Interactive commissioned Care Research to undertake an extensive research project to identify the use and impact of the OM Interactive Mobii multi touch table system in a variety of care homes across England.
As part of this research we visited 10 care homes using the Mobii, video recorded 8 x 30 minute sessions in 7 homes and interviewed key staff about the responses they had witnessed. In addition a comprehensive user survey was sent out to all OMI’s care customers in the UK with 89 care homes responding. The results below highlight the key findings of the care home visits and survey results with comments from staff and family members.
We found 85% of respondents use their Mobii at least every week whilst 39% use it every day.
Encouraging Movement – for greater physical and emotional health
The Mobii gave residents a rewarding & purposeful approach to exercise and movement with over 90% of respondents stating they’d seen a positive impact on residents’ physical ability, participation & movements.
Emotional Wellbeing – encompassing emotional and psychological aspects of wellbeing.
The Mobii is an uplifting resource that creates a positive atmosphere. Smiles, laughter and enjoyment were consistently found with 75% of respondents believing the Mobii has helped their most withdrawn residents.
Reminiscence & Nostalgia – finding ways to feel a sense of belonging and familiarity
We saw many residents who began a session fairly uncommunicative become animated, talking about their memories & past experiences prompted by the Mobii activity. 92% participants reminisced during sessions.
Social Interactions – opportunities to socialise and reduce loneliness
We consistently observed the Mobii encouraging residents to become more social, often singing along & laughing with peers, staff & family members. 80% of staff agree it has provided more quality social time.
Sensory Responses & Interactions – providing enriching multi-sensory experiences
We witnessed residents respond positively to the high colour visuals, ‘painting’ and sweeping with tactile brushes, balls & batons. Staff commented on the effects of the calming music content for those anxious or distressed with 96% of respondents saying they would happily recommend the Mobii to other homes.
Louie Werth PhD Researcher
E: firstname.lastname@example.org W: www.careresearch.co.uk
Some of the benefits reported by care homes, centres and hospitals using the Mobii multi touch table & floor system:
- Greater socialisation, willingness to communicate
- Obvious enjoyment and shared laughter
- More flexibility and upper body movement/coordination
- Sustained moments of lucidity and brightness
- Improved relationships with peers and staff
- Raised well-being levels and improved emotional stability
- More motivation to stand up, stretch and physically participate
- Greater opportunities to share personal stories
- Staff get to know the person behind the dementia
- Families enjoy joint activities without the pressure of finding words
- Can be a calming or stimulating activity with a wide choice of moods
- Opportunity for home members to entertain, independent of staff.
- Flexibility of floor, table and bedside use making it fully inclusive
- More spontaneous singing!
Transforming the lives of people in Care
Discover more about our Award winning Mobii multi touch table system or book a free demo now to see the benefits for yourself.